Monday, March 18, 2013

Counseling and uncooked pasta

Last week I brought some uncooked lasagna noodles to my high school counseling group. The lesson was about being flexible in your thinking and in your attitude, so the activity called for using a rubber band to demonstrate flexibility, and an uncooked noodle (which snaps when bent) to demonstrate inflexibility. They enjoyed playing with the rubber band's flexibility, and amazingly didn't even shoot it at each other. But when I brought out the uncooked pasta, they became excited. I took one of the noodles out, dutifully snapping it to show the perils of inflexibility. And then they promptly began eating it. Yes -- eating the uncooked pasta. I said, "Um...I don't know if that's such a good idea...."
"It's good!" one of the boys said.
"Yeah. It tastes like crackers!" said the other boy, chomping away. "You want some?"
"No. No, thanks," I said. I'm no foodie, but generally I do prefer my pasta to be cooked.
Ah, school psychology. Never a dull moment!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind comment on my blog :) It's so fun to discover a new blog buddy, and I used to live near you several years ago! You sound like the kind of school psychologist we all hope our kids (and nephews!) have. Thank you for that! And what a great lesson this is. I could stand to remember flexibility and uncooked pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cracked me up. I hope they got the point about being inflexible BEFORE they ate it......:)

    ReplyDelete