Thursday, April 30, 2009

Emerging

Sorry I haven't posted in so long, but I was trying to finish a one-act play by the April 30th submission deadline, and -- I succeeded! Well, sort of -- I just e-mailed it at 1:20 AM, which is technically one hour and 20 minutes post-deadline, but hopefully they'll let it slide. Whew!

Happily, I don't have to get up early tomorrow because I quit my tutoring job with my preschooler, since she was absent ALL THE TIME. Well, okay, "only" 3/4 of the time, but that was still way too much. I literally didn't see her once last week. The one day she came to school was Thursday, the one day I wasn't scheduled to see her! But over the five days I did work with her in April, I made $540 extra I would not have earned otherwise. That part was worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for not having to get up early!! I'm impressed you lasted that long with the tutoring. If I was commuting that far and that early just to be unneeded, I'd have quit long ago. On to better things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you have interacted with the girl's mother--I understand she is escaping a violent domestic situation--about the importance of routine, not to mention education, in her daugther's life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I probably should have at least tried to reach out to the mother to talk to her about the girl's attendance. I just had a feeling that there were so many issues and so much going on, it wouldn't have made a difference -- and to be honest, the preschool age group isn't my "thing," which was equally a reason to quit. But I did mention the attendance issue to the tutoring agency, so maybe the next SEIT will reach out to mom and find it effective.

    ReplyDelete